Gard Law Firm, LLC is dedicated to providing effective legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. We handle a variety of cases, including marijuana business law, litigation and criminal defense. We enjoy a national reputation for excellent legal work and are fortunate to claim that our work comes by “word of mouth”. If we cannot take the case, we will help find someone who can. Please contact us to discuss what we can do to assist you. We can help!
About Jeff Gard
Jeffrey S. Gard is a lawyer focusing on marijuana law, litigation and criminal defense. For the last two decades, he has litigated hundreds of cases, many through trial, in both state and federal courts. Jeff also successfully litigated and argued cases before the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Colorado Supreme Court. Additionally, Jeff represents numerous medical marijuana patients, doctors and marijuana businesses throughout the state of Colorado and has advised people from all over the country. He advises state, federal and local governments in their development of marijuana business regulations. Jeff is widely considered one of Colorado’s leading marijuana attorneys and regularly teaches other attorneys about this emerging area of law.
Since the passage of Amendment 64, which legalized adult possession and cultivation of marijuana in Colorado, Jeff has been working with state and local officials in developing regulations for the retail marijuana industry and was appointed by the state to participate in the rule-making progress. Jeff now shares his knowledge and experience with other attorneys and has given several legal seminars in the topic of Colorado marijuana. Jeff co-authored a book on Colorado Marijuana Law titled “Medicolegal Aspects of Marijuana: Colorado Edition,” published March 2015.
By way of background, Jeff is a Colorado native and a Cum Laude Philosophy graduate from the University of Colorado, where he also was elected Phi Beta Kappa. While attending the law school, Jeff won the William De Souchet Award for best individual performance in trial advocacy and won a multi-state moot court competition during his first year of law school. After graduation, Jeff accepted a position with a respected litigation firm in Boulder, Colorado and later formed his own firm in downtown Boulder, Colorado. Gard Law Firm was voted the Best Law Firm in Boulder in 2013, 2014, 2015. Mr. Gard has also been named a Colorado Top Lawyer in the field of Marijuana Law by 5280 Magazine.
Areas of Expertise
For over two decades, Jeff has dedicated himself to defending people charged with crimes. Jeff has successfully defended people from all walks of life who stand accused of all levels of crimes, including drug cases, theft, DUI, assault, domestic violence, etc., and successfully tried numerous cases throughout the state. Jeff is one of only a handful of attorneys in the state of Colorado to become a Life Member of the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar. The Colorado Criminal Defense Bar is a professional association of attorneys, investigators, and paralegals dedicated to protecting the rights of the accused.
We successfully have represented clients charged with both felony and misdemeanor cases and continue to help former clients seal records associated with our prior representation. Most notably, Jeff convinced the DA’s office to drop patently false sexual assault cases against two separate clients. As you would expect, such a result is rare – particularly repeating the feat twice! Fortunately truth prevailed and both clients are able to resume their lives without the stigma of such heinous and false allegations. Other notable cases include:
- negotiated a deferred sentence for a client charged with felony cultivation of marijuana;
- reduced DUI charge to careless driving;
- aquitted a client at trial of criminal mischief;
- reduced a driving under the influence of drugs case to careless driving;
- obtained a deferred sentence to a non-domestic violence charge for a client accused of assaulting her boyfriend;
- secured dismissal of a menacing with a deadly weapon case;
- convinced the DA to offer a deferred sentence in a felony stalking case;
- acquitted a client a trial of 3rd degree assault;
- negotiated a deferred sentence in a multi-thousand dollar felony forgery case;
- obtained a probation sentence for a client facing a mandatory 12 year prison sentence;
- secured dismissal of a DUI case;
- negotiated a petty offense charge in a case in which the client utilized the federal mail to send drugs out of state;
- secured dismissal of charges of DUI and third degree assault/domestic violence on the eve of jury trial; and
- negotiated a plea to a charge of unreasonable noise in a public place, where the client was originally charged with unlawful sexual contact.
We can help you through this difficult time in your life. Please call or email us to discuss what we can do to assist you!